HW: Interesting Challenge

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Sun Jul 26 20:49:10 EDT 1998

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:26:51 +0100, it was Jon Browne
<jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> who made the assertion:

>In article <Pine.OSF.3.96.980724001115.1952A-100000 at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>,
>Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU> writes
>>On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, David G wrote:
>>
>>> no-one has come up with Calvert Era albums yet (except quark),  I
wonder if i
>>> am the only person in the list who rates "Astounding"!!
>>
>>Nah.  "Pops" Shipley and I are probably the resident list champions and
>>defenders of that much-maligned album... :-)
>
>??? It's a fine album! It only has one bad track, Kerb Crawler, which
>was (probably) OK at the time, it's just not aged well.
>The rest of the albums great.

Oh yeah, 'Astounding Sounds' is a fave of mine ... "Reefer Madness",
"Steppenwolf", "Kadu Flyer" - all classics!  I think it only suffers from
the misfortune of falling between two of Hawkwind's most-classic-ever
albums (Warrior and Quark). I guess you're right about "Kerb Crawler",
though - but you can't complain that much about yet another "Silver
Machine"-rewrite being released as a single!   It's great to hear live
versions of those songs on the 'Atomhenge 76' CD-R ... only no "Kadu
Flyer", though :^(

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

ObCD: 'Kraut! Demons! Jraut!' collection (West Germany 1968-1974)

ObFavorite-newly-discovered-Hawkwind-lyric
        "Joules of sound are bad for your hearing
         And pleasure's something that doesn't last
         I took a substance for disappearing
         And I faded in the mirror so fast
         I counted to ten - I was invisible then
         It was hours before I came back complete
         Then I was back on the street again"

P.S. Hey, Si - your next tape goes out on monday ... hopefully I'll get the
next one that's due me, soon!