OFF: Not fair

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Jul 28 22:27:28 EDT 1998

Doug Bates asks...

>Could someone PLEASE recap what Nik said about SD !!!
>The web page just lists the table of contents without the
>article referred to above. I don't care about what Nik said about Dave.

(Well, the discussion about SD and Dave are pretty much tied together, sorry
to say.)

But, OK, here's a quick synopsis.  Note that this part was in the last issue
(#2), which contained the first half of the NikT interview.

Condensed to soundbite form...  "Stay tuned for more on this edition of Hard
Copy."

"I was actually very disappointed with Strange Daze"
"I had busted two toes"
"Friday night which was great"
"he said, 'Oh, do they?'"
"if he can play in tune"
"you don't know the other songs"
"oh, f*ck off, I don't wanna play any of that sh*t"
"they are only here to see us"

Well, that's as much as I want to transcribe.  Of course, the entire thing
is not on the web.  Who would pay to subscribe if it were, even for a measly
$10??  Of course, I won't mention how much better Chr.' art looks on the
webpage, even despite some day-glo colouring.  :)

>Its sad Nik will not be at SD this year. Anyone going anyway?

I assume this is a joke?!  :)  Of course, I'm going.  Space rock in America
is what it's all about, now.  Hawkwind's here, of course, to give it wider
recognition, but I've already seen them 15 times.  The times they are
a'changin', however, and there are going to be 13 or 14 other very capable
space rockers there as well.  Jerry Richards will be new for me, however,
and I do expect that HW's set will be the highlight of the three days.

Scott writes:
>>I had to respond to this.... Keith's reviews in AI were excellent and spot
>>on! Everyone must have everyone one of the lps he reviewed!

(To qualify this second statement, I think Scott is referring to a
collection of 20 classic albums from the past and present, as opposed to the
standard reviews of new releases in the back section.  I just don't want
anyone to think that I would only review great albums, or say that every
album I heard was great...that does more of a disservice than a service, and
is why publications like Aural Innovations are helpful above and beyond the
'catalog reviews' you see, where every album (that they're trying to sell)
is a must-have!  To be fair, Wylie Stone (Bananamoon) doesn't do this (i.e.,
he's honest) although his descriptions are too brief for my purposes a lot
of the time.)

Chr. answers to Scott:
>I agree 100%, *though* I'm a purist and would exclude a few of the krauts
>who I'd argue are not really a psychedelic extension of blues/jazz but more
>of art school anti-rock experimentators. Anyway :)

Well, thanks for the kind words from both.  Of course, Chr. is referring (I
believe) to the inclusion of such Krautrock experimentalists as Neu!, Faust,
and Cluster in the list of 20.  In one sense, he's entirely correct (as
above), but then another way to look at it (and the way I have justified it,
other than simply invoking writer's privilege), is that these three
represent in a 'pure' form, three important aspects of a lot of space rock
music, that being...

Experimentalism (Faust)
Repetitive, hypnotic rhythms (Neu!, and Can would have sufficed also)
Pure electronic/ambient music (Cluster)

So there...  :)

Scott says further (on interview)...
>>but....... it is not fair to interpret the interview the way you did that
Christan >>and I did with Nik.  We did not try to get him to say anything
nasty about Dave.
>>We just asked about Strange Daze and Nik went off the deep end.

OK, I never meant that Nik's words weren't his own.  I thought I was joking.
Ah, but then the truth is revealed!!

Chr. admits...

>Beleive me, its exploitative work on all levels.

:)

I just wish that *one* half of the interview didn't contain some negative
remarks about Dave, just so I wouldn't hesitate on handing a copy of an AI
issue to Dave when he's here next month.  Lemme see, where'd I put that
heavy black marker??  :)

Well, I'll just let Jerry (Kranitz) do it.  :)

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I got my weekend SD'98 pass...I'm ready!

P.P.S.  One month after Dave reads Aural Innovations, Issues #2 and #3...
"Next on Jerry Springer...This old fart of a guitarist says that his old
bandmate can't even remember which end of the instrument to blow into.
We'll get his reaction after we come back from these messages."  :)