OFF Gov't Mule, Music for your Ass!

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jul 29 10:31:54 EDT 1998

Paul>begin{mule_evangelism}

Gov't Mule are *THE* power trio of the 90s!  They have excellent
musicianship, and know how to jam hard.  If you like the Jimi Hendrix
Experience, Cream, Mountain, etc. etc. then you'll love Gov't Mule.
That's not to say they are just copyists: they have their own sound, and
have taken the trio format even further.  Their music is heavy, complex,
and jammin'.  Better yet, they really cut it live.  If you like Lemmy's
bass work, you'll no doubt like Allen Woody's handiwork!

Try out their live album, _Live at Roseland Ballroom_, or either of
their studio efforts.  (Although I initially preferred their eponymous
debut, I now actually prefer _Dose_.)
like without spending any $$$.

\end{mule_evangelism}

Gov't Mule, Music for your Ass!  Here here Paul well spoken.  The Mule
rocks.

>Tell me...is Warren Haynes, late of Allman Bros., in this band? If so, what's
his status with the Allmans? I know they're on tour this summer. Is
Mule a side project for Haynes? What's the deal?

--  Nick

That be him Nick.  My understanding is that the Mule began as a side
project but is now the full time gig, up the Allmans.  Similar origins
to a relatively obscure outfit called Sea Level.  Started as the Allmans
rythm section and then started doing stuff on their own.  Were inspired
by the great jam sessions during sound checks.  For a while the members
of Sea Level did both gigs, but eventually decided to go solo.  They had
a career spanning four albums.  The record company went out of business
on them.  Damn fine group, far more like Allman Bros. music with some
natural progression.  Mule just plain kicks ass, only way I can describe
them.  Check out the Live CD.  Single take, complete with some mistakes,
but damn does the power shine through.

Ghost in the Ruins
"Remember amigos, PBS sucks becuase its free!" - Johnny Bluejeans

PS - No problem on the Y&T Best of Mr. Swartz.  This mop top crew is for
the discerning hair band lovers amongst us.  I still say they are a
better band than Van Halen heheheheheheheheheh.  Ooooo check out there
new one, I finally have seen this thing in general stores, it rocks!