OFF: Monster Magnet @ Scooch's, Roanoke, 7/28/98 (long)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Jul 29 15:15:17 EDT 1998

Last night I had the pleasure of spending my birthday in the company of
Monster Magnet at Scooch's, Roanoke.  (Thanks, once again, to Capt.
Cloud for bringing the tour to my attention!)

They played a blinder!  The setlist (as torn from stage left by yours
truly at the end of the show) was:

        Atomic Clock
        Snakedance
        Powertrip
        Nod Scene
        Dopes
        Crop Circle
        Zodiac Lung
        Bummer
        Negasonic
        Space Lord
        ============
        Tractor
        Kick Out The Jams

The show was organised by local station WROV 96.3FM, who, I may say,
quite possibly atoned for their LIVESTOCK '98 debacle by putting on this
show.  (Since only country & western, gospel, and bluegrass music ever
seem to come to this area, we need folks like WROV to bring rock & metal
here.  Let's hope they continue to bring acts like Monster Magnet into
the area!)

There were two support acts: Second Coming and Far.  I missed the first
one, who may have been a local support band.  Far, I think, are the tour
support.  Far didn't impress me, though I give them an A for effort.
They riffed a lot, though no soloing to speak of.  Plenty of melancholy
and angst.  Maybe it's refreshing that I can't think of a band to liken
them to.  Or maybe thats just my lack of familiarity with their "genre"
showing through...

When Far had finished, the stage was cleared for Monster Magnet.  I have
to say, there's something intrinsically pleasing to the eye to see a
stage crammed with towering Marshall stacks, and framed with a PA that
rises from floor to ceiling.  Certainly, Monster Magnet did not lack for
gear.  I even spotted one of the fabled "Orange" amps atop one stack.

They assumed the stage at about 10:45pm, by my watch.  Though there
hadn't been much of a crowd for Far, the place had really filled up by
now, and the crowd were fairly pumped.  The Monster Magnet tour page
lists Scooch's capacity at 400, and I'd have to estimate it was pretty
full (though I'm terrible at guestimating such things).  Suffice to say,
the turnout was a pleasing sign, and hopefully one to indicate there is
indeed a market for this stuff in SW Virginia!

I have to say that Dave Wyndorf doesn't look nearly as menacing in real
life than he does in his album photos.  Of course, he was dressing the
part: all in black, bare chest, big German iron cross on his back.  Ed
Mundell's (lead guitar) leather trousers looked the part, too.  Ten out
of ten for sartorial elegance, so far.

They ripped into "Atomic Clock" and proceeded to tear up the place from
there on.  Dave Wyndorf is a great asset as a frontman, having great
presence and showmanship.  I do think it is rather scripted and
affected, though (at least to someone sober, such as I was:).  For
example, the guitar feedback freakout scene in "Nod Scene" had Dave
"smashing" his guitar against the stage, to writhe tortured sounds from
it (which I think actually came via a backing tape over the PA), but you
could see he wasn't at all putting his back into it. ;-)  Similarly, he
was goading an over-enthusiastic "lady" in the audience, but, when
later, she actually did flash her tits, he kind of backed off, and
didn't encourage it further.  (Speaking of over-enthusiastic "ladies,"
pity poor Ed Mundell who had one keep grabbing for his crotch whenever
he ventured forth to use his wah-wah pedal.)

The pyrotechnics literally appeared later in the set, during "Bummer,"
when a prop beat-up guitar was brought on, dripping in lighter fluid,
and Dave did his best "Jimi Plays Monterey" impression and set it on
fire and generally theatrically bashed it about.  The crowd loved it.
(Later, outside, I heard Ed Mundell say they also have a bit where they
pour butane in a cymbal and set it alight, and bash the sucker to send
flames all over, "but we need a nice high ceiling for that one...")
Monster Magnet are nothing if not good showmen, and crowd pleasers.

The sound was excellent, IMHO, and very heavy.  I was right up front,
stage left, directly in front of Joe Calandra (bass) for most of the
set.  (Joe beats Dave hands down for the "out of it" look, topped off
nicely with a devilish gleam in his eyes, making it seem he's in another
world entirely.:)

Highlights, for me, were, most definitely "Nod Scene" (my fave from
_Spine of God_), and "Bummer."  (I shouted a couple of times for
"Brainstorm," to no avail.:)  "Zodiac Lung" was really cool, with Dave
introducing it as a failed love song, and singing it wielding a halogen
light with the stage shrouded in smoke.  I liked the way they ranged
over all their output, though I realised later they totally omitted
anything from _Superjudge_, which is surprising, since I'm sure "Cyclops
Revolution," "Superjudge," or "Face Down" would've meshed perfectly with
the rest of the set.  The encore inclusion of "Kick Out The Jams" was
refreshing, although I wish they would give something like "Master of
the Universe" a workout (would fit nicely with the powertrip theme,
too:)...

I was pleasantly surprised with the number of people who appeared
familiar with the material (e.g. singing along with "Zodiac Lung").
"Space Lord" was the big singalong track of the evening.  Someone on
irock lamented the fact that Dave doesn't sing "Space Lord Mother
Fucker" on the _Powertrip_ album, although the track screams out for
this.  Well, that person will be pleased to hear that the track was
actually introduced as "Space Lord Mother Fucker," and sung that way by
band and crowd alike.  (Also, at the merchandise table, they were
selling t-shirts, one of which had a Monster Magnet logo on the front
and "Space Lord Mother Fucker" (written vertically) on the back.)

Afterwards, as I was leaving to go to the car, I passed Dave Wyndorf on
his way to the tour bus, and congratulated him on a great show.  I then
ran into Ed Mundell, who was chatting with some fans.  When he saw my
t-shirt (Hawkwind, "Doremi" shield logo), he said, "hey, great shirt,
man."  I thanked him, and, again, congratulated him on a great show.
"Hey, you played 'Bummer'. . . 'Time We Left...'," I enthused.  He
looked a little puzzled, but then twigged.  "Oh, yeah.  Well, I guess
they are a little similar," he laughed.  "Yeah, just a little bit," I
smiled. "But we change it around some after the start," he added, which
is true: it does diverge from the Hawkwind classic a fair bit (even if
it does retain that unmistakable riff!).

I have to say those Monster Magnet fellows are nice and friendly.  Not
at all what their menacing album photos would suggest. :-)  It's nice to
see a band taking time to talk with the fans.  If I hadn't just been
powertripped by the show (and had a pen:), I might have had the presence
of mind to ask to have my setlist signed or something.  Oh well, a
handshake and a kind word is just as good in my book.

And so it was I left a powertripped Roanoke, a little after 12:15am, and
drove home much the merrier for the experience.  I can't think of a
nicer way to spend ones birthday.  A grand time was had by all!

Go see this band if you can.  You will like them.  As Dave says, "it's
an investment in your future." ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Monster Magnet, _Spine of God_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix