OFF: High Tide

Andreas Andreas.Stuewe at T-ONLINE.DE
Thu Jul 30 12:52:50 EDT 1998

Marshall Wood schrieb:
> Since I've enjoyed all the Simon House stuff that I've picked up so far, I'm
>  thinking about buying some of the High Tide CDs.  There is a single CD that
>  contains both _High Tide_ and _Sea Shanties_ - are these good?  Does the CD
>  omit any songs from the original albums (I hate that!).  Any other "must
>  have" Simon House material - I've got all the Hawkwind and Spiral Realms
>  CDs, plus _Yassasim_ and some of the stuff he did with Nik.  There is
>  something called "Gulp" from '91, and one or two releases with the Third Ear
>  Band - are these any good?  I'm aware of the work House did with David
>  Bowie, but I'm not much of a Bowie fan...

The first two HT are absolutely essential and they are complete versions on the
CD. There are more HT albums out there but not all with SH. The better ones are
"Precious Cargo" (The "third" album from 1970, but in fact some good demos) and
"Interesting times" (a studio album from 1984 - I think - which is similar to the
Spiral Realms stuff, only with analogue synths and vocals; the CD version from
1990 features 2 extra tracks of SH´s never released first solo album "House of
dreams").
Forget TEB´s "Macbeth" album, it´s just boring. But there are some excellent
Magic Muscle albums: "Laughs & thrills" (Live & raw 1972 stuff, recorded on HW´s
Space ritual tour- MM were support act; feat. Adrian Shaw, but not SH), "The
pipe, the roar & the grid" (studio demos from 1970 to 1973, again with AS & with
SH on 3 tracks), "Living weeds from ancient seeds" (a live jam in a studio album
from 1971, cassette only, with AS, no SH), "100 miles below" (Live album from
1989, very recommended, feat. SH on all tracks as well AS & Twink of the Pink
Fairies" and "Gulp!"(mega-recommended live in the studio album from 1991,
recorded exactly 20 years after "Living weeds...", it´s an absolutely freak-out
stoned LP-or CD- featuring - hold your breath - SH, AS, Nick "Bevis Frond"
Saloman, Steve Broughton of Edgar Broughton Band fame & original singer Rod
Goodway).
As we all know SH played with HW from 1974 to 1978, then left to join David
Bowie´s band. There is the live double album "Stage" recorded in 1978, but I
don´t like it that much; SH is very low in the mix.
In 1981 SH is featured on one song -Talking drum- on Japan´s album "Tin drum"
(Japan´s keyboarder Richard Barbieri is now with Porcupine Tree by the way).
There must be more records, especially from the 1980´s, with SH as guest
musician, for example on an Associates album.
That´s all I know if my memory serves me right. Or is there anyone who can add
something to this list ?

Andreas