OFF: Where B da funk?

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Thu Jul 30 17:36:38 EDT 1998

At 10:35 30/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>But there's a fair possibility that it's my large hiphop
>collection that would jar most with this list.  Just looking
>to my right I can see Funkdoobiest, Fun-da-mental, Ices Cube & T, House
>of Pain, Hoodratz, Heavy D, Kool Moe Dee and King Sun.
>
>Huh?

I don't go for this stuff on the whole, but I have a good friend who is
(he's especially fond of Public Enemy), but OTOH, he can't get his head
around all of my "Celtic" stuff - Breton music is one of my big "side"
interests.

>>But maybe I'm wrong.  To my left, it's Rick James, Terence
>Trent D'Arby, Freak Power, Al Green, The inspirational Isley
>Brothers, The Kinsey Report and Mr Albert King.

Now the last four on that list I can go for, Albert King ranks as a giant!

>I like this section of the collection better than the first.  Isley's
>Rule or at least they used too.
>
>>But in a box under the stairs lies the grim eighties legacy
>of being in a poodle haired rock band.  Yes, I have records
>by Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, Cold Sweat, Bang Tango and
>CInderella.
>
>Everybody got some 8>)

Not me I'm relieved to say, but I was almost exclusively buying jazz &
blues stuff in that period.

>What about the Funk collection?  Any classic Cameo, Parliment, Slave,
>Bootsy etc.etc.,?
>
>Just curious....

Check out Axiom Funk's Funkronomicon,  it's Bill Laswell producing George &
Bootsy & their pals in collision with assorted loons like Buckethead, Anton
Fier, Nicky Skopelitis & Laswell himself on a bunch of classic
ParliaFunkadelicment numbers and some brand new wig-outs. Add an oddball
version of "If 6 Was 9", guest appearances by Sly'n'Robbie & Sly Stone.
Highly recommended if you can get your head ( & your ass) round it!

Cheers,
ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!