OFF: Better popular bands??

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jul 30 14:17:00 EDT 1998

In article <3.0.5.32.19980730145706.00984e50 at mailhost.ed.harlequin.co.uk
>, Dave Berry <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> writes
>Nor do the Verve's last two singles
>("The Drugs Don't Work", and "BitterSweet Symphony").

they've had two out since then but whatever.
The prob. with the last album, Urban Hymns, is it was essentially a solo
LP by Ashcroft composed while the band was split, but recorded by the
band upon reformation. It's OKish but no great shakes.

For me, the talent is the guitar, Nick McCabe, who has now left the band
again. Try the 1st release, "A Storm In Heaven" for 15 minute trawls
into the ether, to see why they were dismissed as a "spacerock band"
first time around. I burnt a torch for these guys for *years*.
--
Jon