OFF: Better popular bands??

Stuart A Hamilton xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Jul 31 12:44:53 EDT 1998

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 wrote:

>  He opened with
> Just Before the Bullets fly.  Is that the Gregg Allman tune, and did
> WH write it and play on any of GA's solo albums?

Ok, boys and girls, the southern guru responds;

"Warren met Dickey Betts and Gregg Allman through David Allan Coe, and when
Coe's band opened for the Allman Brothers at the Fox Theaterin Atlanta, Dickey
sat in.

After four years, Warren moved to Nashville to do session work, but the Allman

connection wouldn't go away. Dickey was doing some demos in Nashville and
called
someone to put together a group of background singers. As fate would have it,
Warren
was one of them. "Dickey came up to me and said, 'What are you doing here?' I
said,
'I'm singing back-up on your stuff.' He said 'Oh really. You got your guitar
with you?' I told
him 'No.' and he said, 'Good!' and started laughing." Good natured ribbing
aside,
Dickey kept thinking about Warren's guitar playing. He called Warren up later
and
invited him down to work on some songs. Those songs turned into Dickey's solo
album,
Pattern Disruptive.

At the same time, Gregg decided to record "Just Before The Bullets Fly", which
Warren
co-wrote, as the title track to his 1988 album. It's no wonder that when the
Allman
Brothers reformed for their Reunion Tour in 1989, Warren got the call."

ZEITGEIST E-ZINE & THE RECORD HUNTER at http://www.zeitgeist-scot.com

Shamrock Multimedia, PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK

Tel: 0966-389732  Fax: 0131-467-1827