OFF: Better popular bands??

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Jul 31 15:16:39 EDT 1998

> From:          Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
>
>      Call me a blasphemer, but high though the Duane-era peaks
> were, I reckon the Warren/Woody era as when the band was most
> consistently good.  I saw some absolute *blinders* of shows from
> that line-up ...

Hate to admit it, but you're right in a way.  Difference being that
Duane essentially was inventing the sound, while WH was interpreting.
And WH rarely played slide before joining ABB!  I understand the new
guy, Jack Pearson is a kick-ass slide player too.  I haven't seen the
current lineup, but it might be a culture shock:  two Strats on stage
[well, Jack plays a G&L, but...] instead of twin LPs!  And for sure,
the W&W era was an amazing live act.  I understand the group's much
quieter these days, as Warren really rocked out volume-wise...

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."