BOC: Reverse fungus/Real World

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Mon Jun 1 07:29:14 EDT 1998

> > >, and any song with the
> > > lyric "I live for rock and roll" is immediately suspect anyway!  Especially
> > > when it rhymes with "soul"...  And the chorus to "X-ray Eyes" is really
> > > irritating.
> >
> > That line is clearly a bit of satire...As is the rest of the song...
> >
> > theo
> >
>         Sorry to pick up such an old thread, but I've been away... I
> started to really like 'Hammer Back' once I decided it was satirical, but
> is this something we can say about every song on the album? I'm not sure
> 'Damaged' isn't supposed to be sincere... What really worried me was the
> page on the fan club website where John Shirley explains his lyrics...
> Surely one of the more unnecessary things on the web?
>         Jon J.

It never matters to me what the lyrics to a song are, as long as
they're not, like, pro-pedophilia or something. Sure, Hammer Back is
a little goony, as is 'I live for rock and roll'...but we could
easily go into anyone's back catalogue, including BOC's, and find
something corny. 'Cities on flame with rock and roll'? Great riff,
but exactly how deep are these lyrics?

--  Nick