BOC: HF Revisited

Peter Sondergeld p.sondergeld at QUT.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 4 03:23:04 EDT 1998

I finally got my import copy of HF last weekend. So, what can I say that
hasn't already been said? Come to think of it, I can't remember what has
been said. Anyway, here are a few random and belated thoughts. I hope I
don't cover too much old ground.

- Everyone said it was heavy, but I was still surprised to hear just how
REALLY HEAVY it is.
- The more I listen to it the more I like it. My favourites keep changing.
Today it's *SB*. Yesterday it was *PUD*. Tomorrow...?
- I was immediately struck by the faint echoes from earlier albums. I'd like
to think it was deliberate, but maybe it's just the way I hear it. Overall I
feel like it continues on from Imaginos, and at times I think of the first
three albums, and moments of others. It's heavy and aggressive and the
lyrics are good with a touch of weirdness. *HM* seems to fit right into the
*Magna of Illusion* feel, even though part of the solo (the second? solo in
the fast bit) is highly reminiscent in tone of any of the first three
albums, and I'm sure that discordant run has been lifted from *WotT*. Did BD
pull out his old axe and amp to record that bit? There are other moments too
but I can't remember them all right now. Except that *LfM* has an intro that
sounds like *Shooting Shark* at 16rpm. I guess everybody looks for links to
earlier work and probably nobody wants to hear simply more of the same old
stuff. I personally like the subtle reflections in a new sound - at least
the way I hear it.
- The first actual criticism I could find was the live version of *IT*. I
like the song and the rendition, but it shouldn't be there. To me the album
finishes logically with *LfM*. At the very least, they could have drawn a
line in our minds after *LfM* by claiming that *IT* was a "bonus track" or
something, and we could all skip it without any inklings of guilt. ;) But
serioulsy, it is a bit too out on it's own here.
- Is EB's voice a little rough on SYIB? I mean, was it recorded when he was
reportedly having a few voice problems? This isn't a criticism - I like it,
and it's just a question.
- I could go on, but that'll do for now.

I also got the Ricky Browning concert vid a few weeks back too. Very good.
It's great to actually see Buck playing. (I'm geographically challenged,
remember) I would have liked to have seen *Astronomy* instead of it playing
over the credits, but I guess you can't have everything.

Pete. <back to lurking>

Peter Sondergeld
Email. p.sondergeld at qut.edu.au

"I'm no stranger to hard work - more of a nodding acquaintance." - D.G. Harris