BOC: Astoria

David Hardman D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Thu Jun 4 06:21:52 EDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Andy Gilham wrote:

> Oh yeah - couldn't tell how Bloom's voice was, because everybody at the
> front sang along with every word...

Eric's voice was absolutely A-OK, so whatever problems he had seem to have
disappeared. The way the setlist is structured and in his manner of
singing, I'd guess he's taking care to preserve his voice.

The overall sound last night I thought was fantastic - perhaps the best
I've ever heard them. Buck's lead lines soared crystal clear. Eric had a
bit of a sound problem with his guitar early on, leading to a guitar
change which quickly sorted matters out.

The boys looked like they were enjoying themselves, no doubt spurred on by
an enthusiastic crowd, though there was hardly any chat between numbers.
The most I recall Eric saying was "I can't believe they didn't use this in
the movie" as he introduced Godzilla.

The only real disappointment was that just one encore was played (D & S);
pretty surprising given how well they went down. There was also no chance
to see the band after the show, unfortunately - whether that was down to
the band or just the venue I don't know, but the bastard staff at the
Astoria couldn't get rid of us quickly enough.

All in all a damn good night, despite my getting in the way of a flying
beer can that some dumbfuck threw -- could have been worse, but luckily I
stopped it with my head! :)

Dave

David Hardman
HCI Design Centre