BOC: Astoria

Thu Jun 4 07:39:10 EDT 1998

> From:          Stephen Swann <swann at ST-CANARD.SPC.EDU>

> Last Days really has turned into a sort of mini-epic, though, hasn't it?
> At least if you got the version Buck has been performing in the States for
> the last few years.  The last time I saw them was about 3.5 years ago in
> Raleigh, and I was blown away by that song.  "A transcendant guitar
> playing odyssey"  was the overblown-sounding description I conceived at
> the time.  ;-) But, even as overtstated as it sounds, I think the song
> (and Buck's playing) have become so amazing that it deserves a hyperbolic
> description like that...

You are correct sir!  No amount of hyperbole is excessive in
describing BD's playing lately.  His live work is now as good as his
studio work, which is pretty scary.  Last Days is indeed an odyssey.
BD scans the entire spectrum of his playing, fast slow, furious,
thoughtful--all in one solo...

theo

"...Cause it makes me mad,
And I get evil as a man can be."