HW: Private gig

Chris Croughton crough45 at AMC.DE
Mon Jun 8 02:04:51 EDT 1998

Bernhard Pospiech wrote:

> I am (with Mike Holmes) the creator of the idea to let do HAWKWIND a
> private gig for the fans.

So It's All Your Fault(tm) <g>.

> I asked the fans to write to me a mail and let me know if they could help
> to organize such a gig and let me know how much money they would pay to see
> such a gig happen.
>
> What I have now received are about 1200 US$ !!!!
> I am sure that this is not enough.

I have no idea.  However, what are you talking about for the money?  Is this
'seed' money and you expect to make up the rest from ticket (and/or con
membership) sales?  Or is this 'ticket' prices you're looking at?  I don't
know how you're working this (except that you obviously don't want to be
out-of-pocket by $10K or something at the end).

How much will the band charge to come over?  How many other people will they
need to bring (like their own tech guys or whatever)?

> I am the one who is trying to coordinate all the things (collecting money,
> stay in touch with the band and looking for guy who are able to get such an
> event running.

And you volunteered for this?  Mad, totally - but people who volunteer to run
SF conventions are equally mad.  Me, I just volunteer to do safe things like
run tech for a rock band <g>...

> What we have to do now is the following:
>
> - ask Dave when the band has the time (my part)
> - ask Dave how much money he really needs (my part)
> - find a venue and occasion where the band could play (your part)
> - stay in touch with the band (Paul Wards and Guy Thomas part)
> - collecting the money when all problems are fixed (Mike Holmes part ??)
>
> What else do we have to do????

Pray.  Panic.  The usual.

Advertise it when it's more definite, and get solid (or at least fairly solid)
ideas of numbers attending and costs.  Either massive over-attendance or
under-attendance can be a problem - getting 75% or 150% of the expected number
is probably manageable, but outside that there will be problems.

All the best.

Chris C