HW: Private gig information

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 8 12:37:19 EDT 1998

From: M Holmes <fofp>
Subject: Re: HW: Private gig information
To: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>

LN1GJT writes:

> Jon writes:

> >Well, I thought the original idea of a castle was better.  I also
> >think the castle is a better idea as some form of camp-out/all
> >nighter was what people had in mind, no?

> > I still like the idea of a private

> >gig in a castle.  OK, Arundel's probably booked, but I'll bet there's
> >similar alternates.  A huge tree sounds better to me, than a hotel.

> >A nice marquee in a field in summer, all legal and private sounds
> >pretty close to perfect, to me.  Maybe I'm weird or unrealistically
> >nostagic.  I thought this was Dave's sort of scene too, really.

> >Some hotel full of indifferent SF fans sounds a bit, well.....

> >If i'm just kicking the buckets over and walking off, tell me to shut
> >up, please.

> >This August is the 10th anniversary of Bob's passing.  Trevor tells
> >me> the band want to mark that in some way, too....  -- Jon

> John, NO you are NOT MOUTHING OFF at all - you are perfectly entitled
> to your opinion, - and I must admit, that I do rather feel the same
> way too.

> What is the gut feeling of everybody else - I mean I wouldn't like to
> sponsor a gig for the benefit of sci-fi enthusiasts, who may not have
> a genuine interest in seeing the band play - as the main reason for
> the event in the first place!

> Sorry, I don't want to seem negative either, but this is the way I
> feel too.

Seeing Hawkwind play the Warrior set in a castle would be pretty close
to perfect for me. However, most of the castles we could book for this
sort of events are hotels also and would probably glance askew at us
wanting to camp and run a rock gig. The hotels which are ruins would be
prohibited to us as protected buildings though we might be able to get
close to them in a nearby private field.

Making something happen however is the art of the possible. Brock says
he wants to do some fannish type event and presumably he has good
memories of the Brighton Con. Whatever you might think, SF Cons are like
very large room parties which last all weekend. Personally I like these
events and I like the sort of people who attend them. They're also the
sorts of people who could become Hawkwind fans and I think introducing
them to a Hawkwind gig can only be good for all concerned.

We can run a programme stream apart from the gigs specifically for fans.
If some SF folks find that of interest then we should welcome the chance
to share our interest with newcomers.

I think having Hawkwind *and* an SF Con there over the weekend would add
to the interest rather than subtract from it.

I also think it makes it a lot more likely that we'd be able to make
this thing happen, and that's important.

> Guy T.

FoFP