HW: Private gig information

Chris Croughton crough45 at AMC.DE
Mon Jun 8 12:51:33 EDT 1998

LN1GJT wrote:

> What is the gut feeling of everybody else - I mean I wouldn't like to sponsor a
> gig for the benefit of sci-fi enthusiasts, who may not have a genuine interest
> in seeing the band play - as the main reason for the event in the first place!

My feeling (as an SF fan) is that if the majority of fans there were going
to be 'indifferent' then it wouldn't be done at a con, and /I/ wouldn't
want it done at a con either.

My suggestion is the other way round - plan a con round the gig.  People who
just wanted to come to the gig could do that, those who wanted to do more
(possibly including getting some of the band to do workshops or whatever,
if they were amenable and had time) could do that.  There are quite a lot
of Hawkwind fans in fandom who don't know anything about any larger Hawkwind
fandom (I'm one, for instance, I didn't know of the existence of this mailing
list or of "Hawkwind fanzines" before Mike invited me).

Re. hotel versus a tree or academy - I don't think a hotel is going to be
right either unless it (like the one at Conspiracy in '87) has something
like a proper theatre with (at minimum) tiered seating.  Even with 200
people having a flat floor with seats and a stage is not good, especially
since the bant tend to be rather visual in their performance (or at least
they were 10 years ago, I haven't seen them since).

> PS, How about a marquee in a field on Dave B's Farm? (or Nik's place in Wales?)
> - The band wouldn't have to travel much then would they! Mind you, Kris and
> Dave might not like the idea - it could be a bit intrusive, on their doorstep,
> so to speak!

Power, insurance - they will add quite a bit to the cost, they're included in
hire of a normal theatre.

Chris C