HW: Private gig information

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jun 8 15:26:36 EDT 1998

Jon said...

>Well, I thought the original idea of a castle was better.
>I also think the castle is a better idea as some form of camp-out/all
>nighter was what people had in mind, no?

I think this is something I'd be behind more strongly.  But then, I'm not
really in a position to say what is possible and what is not, being on the
west side of the pond and all.  And I've never been to a SF con, and I would
consider that kind of event only of 'passing interest,' despite having read
quite a lot of it.

But what the planned gig is associated with isn't really an issue with
me...and I wouldn't care who comes, doesn't come, or how many people there
are at the event.  I just think the venue or *site* would be the most
important thing.  If it's to be a special event that a lot of people go way
out of their way to plan and carry out, the location should warrant that
effort.  So I would be thinking about an 'outdoor' type of site, whether
that meant the entire stage/audience was outdoors or whether they played in
some sort of structure (like a castle) with camping nearby.

I don't know what sort of lead time you all were thinking, but they way it
seems so far, it's going to be a while before everyone even gets on the same
page, and then it'll probably be a long time before enough contact is made
back and forth with Dave (& whoever else) such that final planning could
even come about.  So I'm thinking that perhaps the date to shoot for would
be June 20-21, 1999. (That's a Sunday night into Monday morning...*close* to
a weekend event.) And if that doesn't deserve to be outdoors, what does??
Now, are there any stone circles we could *rent* for that time?  Preferably
ones that have power available. :)

Perhaps most of you were not thinking that far into the future, but the way
it seems with HW, things planned for six months into the future never happen
until 12 months into the future...right, Paul?  So, we just tell Dave it'll
be Dec. 20-21, and he'll show up right on time, June 20th.  :)

>This August is the 10th anniversary of Bob's passing. Trevor tells me
>the band want to mark that in some way, too....

Well, of course, the actual date was August 14, 1988, and I know exactly
where HW will be at that moment...here in Ohio!  So if SD'98 doesn't mark
that anniversary sufficiently, I don't know what will.  Of course, all you
Euros should simultaneously be marking that anniversary at the Jonkoping
festival.

And I can't imagine that HW is coming to SD'98 for profit, as it is to be
the only gig they do in the US then.  (I guess Jim L. and Dave are trying to
work out a proper US tour in November, but who knows if that will ever happen.)

Keith H. (FAA)