BOC: "No-Zilla"

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 9 18:23:13 EDT 1998

SPRAWL writes:

> hehehe..
> name one single instance in any work of fiction where the act of
> altering the past was handled properly. the closest i've seen was in an
> episode of red dwarf, and that was atrocious!

'The Man Who Folded Himself' was pretty clever from what I recall
although checking out the SF Guide it gets a very low rating so may not
be as good as I thought - however Silverberg's 'Up The Line' with a
time travelling historian in search of his grandmother (I think) for
not entirely pure motives was a wonderful read.  An oddly compelling
book I remember was Asimov's 'End of Eternity' with a strange Time
Travelling machine he called a Kettle.   But for a very curious
complex and intelligent story including philosophy, psychology and
the structure of time itself you should read Brian Aldiss "An Age" also
known as "Cryptozoic".    It includes a pub in the Jurassic Period that
calls itself "The Amniote Egg".

Sorry - off topic - but I couldn't resist.   I return you now to the
real Monsters of Rock....

jill

obquote>  Time present and time past / Are both perhaps present in time
future, / And time future contained in time past   <T S Eliot>

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk