Tape Swap

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jun 12 08:43:17 EDT 1998

> > David McCallum
>
> This was pretty good actually.

Isn't it??? Brilliantly infectous, groovy etc. Teeters tastefully between
some serious tongue in cheek and some very heavy shit :)

 I was expecting him to break into "Open Channel
> D - calling Napoleon Solo" though !

Thats the name of the CD ;) McCallum recorded a couple of albums and
singles in the mid 60s and its sometimes quite good. There are a few
frightening easy listening covers there too, but "Communication" is the
best tune (and an original), also a hit in '66. Unlike the crew of the
Enterprise, the man from UNCLE was multi-talented ;-)

> > Legendary Stardust Cowboy
>
> Sorry, this guy didn't float my boat one iota.

Hehe. So you didn't even like the jungle sounds? The rebel yell or Comanche
war whoop?? Eh? I guess I'm a big fan of his :) Interestingly he's the
source for David Bowie's (Ziggy) Stardust name. Comparable to a Syd Barrett
of the US roots/country world maybe. He had a US chart hit in '68 with
"Paralyzed", and he's still active :)

> > Bedlam Four
> > (The Marvel World of) Icarus
> > Beef Boys
>
> This was all rather intriguing.
>
> > The Breakers
>
> Surf Tragedy ? Not bad.

Love the french horn (?)- quite epic stuff. A far more stirring tale than
any old greek tragedy!

> > Jimmy Cross
>
> "That's when we met the leader of the pack!"   Most amusing.

As far as I remember reading it was played frequently on US radio in the
early 60s, shocking listeners (blatantly hinting at dismemberment and
necrophilia), and subsequently banned by some paranoia inducing US
institution.

Of course I should have put William Shatner on there (couldn't find the
tape, I need to get the CD anyway).

Chr.