HW:Warrior+EMI/ramble remastering/state of affairs?

Christian000Mumford mumford at ONLINE.NO
Sun Jun 14 09:07:01 EDT 1998

> Does anyone know if EMI are going to do a remaster of Warrior as they
have
> done with their other LPs?  They made such a good job of the rest it's a
> shame that it's missing!
>
> eldritch

Does anyone know the excact story why they have not done this already?? I
know it has something to do with sub-licencing etc. as the CD has been on
different labels than the other UA/EMI discs (they've been on CD (in
UK) on EMI, why Warrior on Dojo?). An EMI remastered Warrior would not
only benefit from flash packaging, extra tracks & better sound, it might
just be slightly less pink too. My Dojo copy is *very* pink, I do not mind
pink as a color in general, I mean, I would not wear pink (not in public
anyway :) but thats not the issue. My own personal copy of WARRIOR is just
extremely PINK. A strange Freudian fixation on my part?

And what about the Charisma/76-78 era?? Astounding/Quark/PXR5/Hawklords 25
Years On (maybe even the Hawklords Live on the same disc?), those 4 albums
are as classic as the early ones. They would not have to be as expensively
packaged, a nice fat booklet (like the EMI Motorhead/Sabbath/Uriah
Heep/whomever remasters) would do fine, and be great mid-price bargains...
beyond the Calvert/Charisma albums I'd see no point in remastering...
(like who needs a remaster of Levitation!?)

Taking the subject further, I really thought the packaging for the
remastered Sphynx (Turner) CD was incredibly cheap/half arsed/crap. Shame!
Nothing else wrong with it apart from that. They should just have copied
the original LP stuff (maybe legal reasons they did not? Still...). What
happened to EBS, they used to put out the tastiest looking discs out there.
I doubt DH or Sphynx grabbed any new listeners, simply because they are so
ugly and unappealing looking (added to zero promotion) - one can get far
more 'tempting' looking/sounding HW stuff much cheaper anyway (if you are
new to the band). I suspect the sudden decline in that dept. is reflective
of the state of EBS  (why's Davey's Elf EP and Hawkfan CD reissue NOT on
EBS???). As someone said, they might have overspent their budget on the A4,
LiS etc. etc. massive EBS packages that came out in '95-96.

Davey leaving the band probably did more damage than Brock might care to
admit as well? Not because of fans etc, I am thinking as a force within the
band and label, creatively and otherwise. Either way, HW have had it FAR
worse and come back full force in the past.
Chr.

--
"Carbon dating may lead to paper cuts and pencil pushing is the
good time Dixie band of all navigational endeavor. Receding hairlines

                - Ellery C. Helgar M.D., AC 12/7/84