HW: Current Hawk Situation

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Jun 15 17:32:41 EDT 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:02:38 +0000, Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> mumbled something about:

>On mån 15 jun 1998 10.38 -0400 SPRAWL <sprawl at BLACKBOARD.COM> wrote:
>> Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>>>      Ron is a lot better than I thought he would be, but he's not
>>> Alan (or Lemmy ;)  He's settled in better than we might have hoped
>>> otherwise.
>>>      I think the real problem is too much filler on _DH_ and not
>>> enough decent space-rock songs.
>>
>> yer a bass player, and so probably know better than i, but i formed my
>> op of ron's playing live. i noticed a lot of stalls and dropped notes.
>> he can carry a tune, but imo, doesnt KICK. nothing against the guy, i
>> just think he's better as front man than b-player.

FWIW, I play bass also (and do all the bass players on the list play the
same MODEL bass, at least on the HW side ;^)?), and was overall somewhat
pleasantly surprised with Ron's playing when I saw HW last summer.  I'd
already heard one of the Capt. Jesus LP's, so I knew that he wouldn't suck
(I think his playing on those is really good; not Lemmy or Alan, but still
very good).  But he didn't sing on those albums, so I also knew that would
make a difference (this is from experience - comparing the basslines I play
on songs that I sing to those on which I keep my mouth shut is nearly as
bad as comparing Sid Vicious to Lemmy - not that I'm as bad as the former
or as good as the latter!).  Yeah, he tended to make mistakes especially
while singing, but that's difficult.  But, for the most part, he did a
great job of keeping up while playing WITH HIS FINGERS!  That's what really
blew me away; how many other HW bassists besides Adrian Shaw have played
without a pick?  There's no way I could play that fast and hard without one

and, on Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:38:53 +0000, the very same Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> also opined:

>     Alan's better than I :)  I'd have to _practice_. Horrors! :)
>Hell, anyone got a synth they feel like playing?  If Harvey could
>do it, surely a list-member can.  Then no more excuse for Dave to
>arse about with the keys and tapes :)

How 'bout the Moog Prodigy that Eldritch is selling?  (a great buy! some UK
list member should certainly pick it up!)  And speaking of his "for-sale"
ad, the German pressing of WotEoT is probably the best-sounding vinyl copy
you'll find of that album (I've compared it to US & UK originals, as well
as the UK-repress) except maybe the Japanese (anyone heard that one?).  My
copy (as I love to brag about) came from the Radio Free Europe library ...
I can imagine it being used as propoganda to bring all those space
rock-lovin' East Germans and Czecks over to the West! (heck, it would be
enough to get me to defect!)

But hey - I also play analog synths & space rock violin, so don't tempt me!
;^)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com