SpaceRock Bassists play...

Tue Jun 16 14:02:21 EDT 1998

On tis 16 jun 1998 09.18 +0000 "Horse Whisperer" wrote:
> Signature geetars are a mixed bag - when they're good, they're cut and
> shaped to exactly the famous dude's demands and is therefore a very
> specific guitar and if you play one you're compromising your own basic
> technique, and when they're bad, they're just off-the-shelf axes in
> 'custom' colours - a pile of pants.

     Yeah, that was my feeling about 'em.  The only performer's guitar
I need is mine :)

> Pickups and amps are a different bag however.  I've played the Laney
> Tony Iommi model and it completely rocks.  It hasn't got the usual
> problems with fizzy high-end that the new valve Laneys have had and it's
> got all the crunch and beef you could ever need - and a bee-yewtiful
> clean tone.

     Man, I haven't had a stadium to try the full-bore Iommi model
in, but I still think the regular Laney valve amps are pretty good
for the price.  I think I'd be tempted to get one if I were getting
a new amp.  Maybe a 50w head or something.  100w valve head is
probably a lot more power than I'll ever need!

> Who makes the Iommi pickups anyway?

     Gibson.

Cheers,
Carl