HW:Warrior+EMI/ramble remastering/state of affairs?

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Tue Jun 16 19:44:57 EDT 1998

At 20:27 15/06/98 +0100, you wrote:
>--snip--<
>>I'd see no point in remastering...
>>(like who needs a remaster of Levitation!?)
>
>I would out of curiosity. I don't really know what I am talking about
>here but I would expect that the original master wouldn't be 44KHz 16bit
>(CD standard?) so you would probably need to resample it. With fancy
>things like super bitmapping and such, I wouldn't be surprised if you
>could end up with something sounding marginally better.

Since 44/16 (CD) is about the lowest standard (apart from some digital
radio), if it was digitally recorded it would be at least that good - the
problem with old digital recordings is usually that the engineers hadn't
got to grips with the "nasties" at the time e.g. a lot of people got caught
out by overload distortion in the digital realm - analogue degrades &
saturates relatively gradually & gracefully, whereas with digital it sort
of hits a brick wall.  It's a bit like the difference between valve &
transistor guitar amps, and I think we all know that there's not much
better than an overdriven Marshall stack!

>Anyone got the dope on Warrior and digital masters?

Warrior is probably pre-digital (except maybe the early experiments with
live direct to stereo 2-track on a Sony U-matic video?)

ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!