HW:Warrior+EMI/ramble remastering/state of affairs?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Jun 17 14:12:31 EDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:29:04 +0000, LN1GJT <Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM>
uttered:

>SPRAWL wrote:
>>> the WHOLE dojo cd is from vinyl. the griffin doesnt seem to be tho.

It's not ... see below ...

>>> if the dojo isnt, i wonder why i got those annoying tiks al the way thru
>>> it, barely audible...
>> rj
>>
>Actually, the Warrior CD was recorded from John Chase's unplayed mint vinyl
>copy. John as you may know, is the band's official photographer.  He also
>designed the Business trip cover!  He's also a great bloke!
>
>The version of Motorhead, came from two copies of the 7" that I had ... Both
>copies were copied to DAT, and cut apart, and spliced to remake an
unscratched
>end-product, as well as being cedered! (I think that's the correct
spelling!
>Cedering is very detailled EQing)  That is why John and I get a credit on
the >CD!

Actually, the acronym is CEDAR (don't remember what it stands for), but
I'll let it slide.

>Even a re-hashed version of Motorhead was better than nothing at the time!
>I think I recall, Doug saying that the UK masters had actually gone missing.

So I suppose that we're unlikely to see a UK remaster if the original
masters haven't been found yet.  The Griffin 'Warrior...' was mastered from
the (second- or third-generation) "safety" master taken from the Atco
vaults in New York City.  Not an ideal situation, but better than mastering
from vinyl (although the clean-up technology is getting better and better,
and I've heard CD's where it's nearly impossible to tell which tracks are
from master tapes and which are from vinyl without paying VERY CAREFUL
attention).

>So, now you all know!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com