OFF: In who's area?

Andrew A. Apold mordru at GEKKO.NET
Thu Jun 18 11:26:05 EDT 1998

>Which joker invented the weird UK address system??? Just adressing mail to
>someone is like 6 lines, with all the gibberish near the mid-bottom, and
>now UK'ers start *talking* it like, "oh I live in FG6, but I can take the
>47E to YT12 at 0800 with your supply of B12" etc. etc.
>
>Urban nightmare! :)

I don't know about the actual system, but using letters and #'s gives
the possiblity of far more possible codes in less characters than the
U.S. zip code system which is numeric only, and already has had to
go from 5 characters to 9.  (36 vs. 10 per character)...

Andrew, who remembers the big fuss caused in Panama when
we had to go to seven-digit phone #'s because the six digit
codes (no area or city codes mind you, that's six digits for the entire
country) were finally running out.... and that's with the same
first two #'s being the same for most regions (my # was 52-2621,
and most canal people were 52...).  This occurred way back, oh,
lessee, '93 or '94 I think.

Andrew A. Apold (mordru at gekko.net), aka | Tension
Roger Shrubstaff, Guildmaster of Reeves |  Apprehension
Duchy of Silverwater (BL), Amtgard      |    and Dissention
aka Asgrim Dragon -=UDIC=-              |     have begun.
+--------B-L-U-E--Ö-Y-S-T-E-R--C-U-L-T--+    -Alfred Bester
 "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random