OFF: King of the Hill (was BOC: Simpsons reference (was: Re: BOC: ))

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 22 06:23:54 EDT 1998

Ted Jackson wrote.......
>>from Andy Gilham
>> > _King of the Hill_ is worse, though. :)  I couldn't believe the one
about
>> > Hank and Bobby entering the father and son shooting contest!
>>
>Yeah, but KotH is a total satire.  Whenever Hank rants about family
>values or propriety, he's ridiculed.  The fact that everything he
>says is stolen off a bumper sticker, his dull discourse and thick,
>slow-witted appearance all ridicule the kind of lifestyle he
>defends...
>
>But--like Archie Bunker, you still like him, and unlike AB, Hank is
>basically a decent guy and not mean-spirited.  That blank look belies
>his confusion over a world that's changing and leaving him behind,
>when he thought he was doing the right thing...

KotH is totally true to life from what I can tell, but isn't Bobby the
one who brings the fresh air into the redneck life?
His parents have those traditional Texan values, but Bobby is putting
those in counterpoint by seeing stuff through the eyes of a little kid -
it's just sad that although he manages to change Hank's perceptions a
bit and make him a little more liberal, Bobby still gets those Southern
Baptist values slowly engrained into him.

Watching KotH is sort of like watching The Wonder Years - half the time
it's really funny (in a laughing at, not with, kinda way), and the other
half is spent cringing in disbelief at the things people actually do.

It's a shame really, because the funny bits are damn funny.

Chris.