Deep Purple

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Mon Jun 22 07:46:27 EDT 1998

> Nick said:
> >Just bought the new album, 'Abandon'. I'm officially halfway through
> >it, so I don't want to make any snap judgements. So far, the guy who
> >already gave his opinions about it (I've GOT to start remembering
> >names or stop deleting e-mails) had it kind of right. I like
> >it...it's a good disc so far, and will most likely get the standard
> >repeat listens, but it's probably not quite as good as I'd hoped.
> >Same style as 'Purpendicular', but probably a little more
> >bottom-heavy, and not quite as much variety.
>
> That was me.  Yesterday, on my way to my parents' house for Father's
> Day, I was listening to Abandon in the car.  The songs are growing on
> me, but slowly.  "'69" really gets my foot tapping, and "Bludsucker" is
> the perfect ending to the CD, but I still feel Abandon is pretty average
> on the whole.  Everything is a slow groove, there isn't much
> straight-ahead, driving rhythms to it.
>
> Brian

Yeah. I definitely liked 'Purpendicular' better. I don't know if this
is a stupid way to look at it, but I kinda consider 'Abandon' a
sophomore effort, since it's the second collaboration with Steve
Morse... or the second album with the Mark 5,984 lineup, if you
will...and sophomore albums often disappoint. I think maybe the Purps
and Steve hit it off famously right off the bat and kicked butt, and
when it came to doing a followup, maybe they tried too hard. Ah
well...It's still DP and I still like it well enough.

Ob Next CD on shopping list:  Molly Hatchet: 'Silent Reign of
Heroes'.

God Bless CMC!

--  Nick