OFF: CMC in Details

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Tue Jun 23 07:37:41 EDT 1998

Just wondering if anyone else got a chance to check out the article
on CMC International in 'Details' magazine.
The mag on the whole is tremendously crappy, but the article is
interesting. Like I said, BOC only gets a single name drop, but if
you're a fan of any of the old bands on the label, you should get a
kick out of learning more about it. I did.
One interesting point is that CMC has absolutely no 'development'
people. The artists get 100% creative control. An exec with one of
the major labels (I forget which), was questioned about CMC's
methods. Overall, he said he really admired their strategy. But as
far as the creative control thing, he said there's no way he would
have let some of those CMC artists put out the albums they did.
No one was mentioned specifically, but I'd love to know who he was
talking about and why he felt that way.
Anyway, I recommend the article to anyone who finds more and more of
their CD rack space getting taken up by CMC product these days.

--  Nick