OFF: MH and DP

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Wed Jun 24 07:30:49 EDT 1998

> >Does Steve Morse paly guitar on the new Deep Purple album?
>
> Yep.  He was their guitarist for their last album too.  His arrival
> breathed some life back into the band, and although I think he rehashed
> some of his riffs from "Purpendicular" on the new album, his playing
> still rocks (in the Bill&Ted sense of the word.)

I gotta tell ya, I'm liking it more and more as I listen...especially
the first half of the disc. 'Any Fule...' is a good enough rocker.
'Fingers to the Bone' and 'Seventh Heaven' are really cool, and I
think they highlight the new flavor Morse has brought to the band.
For those who will accept no one but Blackmore, the 'Bludsucker'
remake at the end of the disc is a pretty straightforward rehash.

> I wonder what DP sounded like when Joe Satriani covered for Blackmore on
> the European tour a couple years ago?

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a bootleg video of a Satriani
DP concert at one of those Holiday Inn CD/Tape conventions a couple
years ago. Now I'll probably never know...!

> >Hmmmm CMC dosen't interfere with the artist album; what a novel
> concept,
> >let the muscians make the music.  8>)

An excellent idea from a fan perspective...but there's a point to be
made in terms of commercial appeal. I'm happy as a damn clam that DP,
BOC, Motorhead, Hatchet, et. al. are doing exactly what they want to
do. But are they making enough money just pleasing people like us?
Actually, the article said these bands pull in decent cash hitting
all those summer 'Geezer' tours.

--  Nick