OFF: OB: Molly Hatchet, Skynyrd,....

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHU.AC.UK
Thu Jun 25 10:27:29 EDT 1998

> >>I was just about ready to completely write Skynyrd off, but their
> >>latest album, 'Twenty', has some really decent cuts on it. Plus, in
> >>my opinion, which will most likely NOT be shared by many, their song
> >>'The Last Rebel' ranks among the all-time greatest Skynyrd tunes.
> >
> > Agreed.
>
>      The rest of that album was pretty grim though, IMO.

Is this a common opinion or what? TLR, the song is most excellent
as I believe the young people used to say. In fact I like most of
TLR, the album apart from some risible country ballad about God and
crosses and suchlike tomfoolery <ducks :->

> > don't think they'll come up with something like Alabama, or Freebird,

You can only write songs like that when you're young, passionate and
don't know the rules!

>      I saw them on the 1991 tour and they rocked.  I thought the
> _1991_ album was superb, as well.  I saw them in, hmmm, 94 or 95
> and the sound was so awful I couldn't tell what they were like.

1991 tour, the Forum in London, one of the all-time great shows. The
crowd singing Freebird, no vocals from the band. Amazing feeling.
Saw them earlier this year in Manchester and blow me if they didn't
kick ass again. Rickey Medlocke was all over the stage and really kept
the others on their toes. BTW the support act was Bruce Dickinson and
_he_ was damn good too

Chris Bates