BOC: It's Showtime

Fri Jun 26 11:40:52 EDT 1998

> From:          brian halligan <brianh at PULLEYN.COM>

> Encore:
> Some blues cover that I should know the name of, but I couldn't hear the
> words (I was standing in front of Buck's guitar rack.)
> With special guest, Smokin' Joe Bonomassa!  Smokin' Joe and Buck traded
> licks on this one.  It was incredible!

I'm pretty sure it was Slow Down, a tune people have been speculating
about on this list of late...

> BOC was ON.  This was the best of the 5 BOC shows I've seen (admittedly,
> the first was in '96...)

Yeah they were really hot.  Sound was a problem [as usual] unable to
hear BD's gtr up front, but back of the hall he sounded fine, so you
had to make a choice...

> Brian
>
> P.S. I noticed a few of the people standing near me were mouthing the
> words to the new HF songs.  Always a good sign.

Yes!  People seemed to know all about the new record.  I overheard a
couple of dudes talking about it before the gig.

Best thing about the show was the re-worked set.  Kinda strange
opening with a BD-sung tune.  But they really hit every point:
--3 best songs from HF
--Amazing version of Flaming Telepaths, with ungodly strobe light
effect at the end with BD tearing the house down while EB cackles.
Truly a watershed experience in my 25 years of BOC concerts.
--TCtLDoM.  Crowd favorite, and absolutley smoked.  Unconsciously
great soloing from BD.
--The Vigil.  Again BD shining here, but everything worked great.
--LItH.  Wow!  I was hoping for this one, and they rocked the house.
--Buck's boogie.  Never get tired of this one, and BD just seems to
get better at it...

Special praide should go to Danny.  Man can this guy play.  I know
there're a lot of bass players on the list, and he did ya proud last
night.  I hope he's given a greater role in the group, esp. with
songwriting.

Bobby's a great drummer.  Extremely proficient and effortless in his
ability.  I prefer Al's work with BOC, but that's not a knock on
Bobby, who is great.  Al's just unique, nobody plays like him.

Allen--what can you say?  Elegantly wasted as usual.  Played a lot of
gtr [and cigarette] very little keys.  Some great moments in Buck's
Boogie.

A great venue [converted movie house!] though the sound was lacking.
the mosh are is actually behind the PA, so all you're hearing are the
stage amps and some monitors if you get close.  Much better sounding
further back, but you can't see the band.  They should've taken
advantage of the sloping floor and put the band down in front, but
instead have elevated the stage area, losing the natural amphitheater
effect!  Duh?

Anyway a great show, though I can't believe they did one encore
whilst the crowd was cheering and raving.  Esp since it was a jam
tune and essentially a throwaway.  Wish they'd come out again for
DaS.  Also wish they'd started a bit earlier.  Amazzingly, almost
historically bad opening group [second act--missed the first]...

theo