HW: Welcome to the Future

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Jun 28 17:55:18 EDT 1998

eldritch writes:

> Joseph DeLillo wrote:
>
> > I just got that in the other day.  It's all right, but the it's not a
> > very good mixing job, although I have not heard the orginal albums to
> > judge the sound quality.  I am not sure if Space Ritual 2 is just disc
> > two of the Space Ritual set, as I don't have either, except for in the
> > 4-cd set.
> >
> > I hope this bit of info helps
> >
> > Andrew A. Apold wrote:
> >
> > > Hawkwind:
> > > Welcome to the Future 4-cd set, all the
> > > disc names sound familiar (text of the festival, space ritual vol. 2
> > > masters of the universe, and one other)....
> > >
> > > $21.95... worth it?
> > >
> > > I have space ritual, is that just the 2nd disk?  or is that the
> > >         "other" ritual that gets dissed a lot?
> > >
> > > =================================
> > > -Andrew Apold (mordru at flite.net)
>
>  Well all the original albums sound pretty crap: SR VOL 2 is the best of
> the bunch..
>  It's the alternate takes from SR tour, it isn't mixed any where near as
> good as sr.
> I think Nik gave them to Dave Anderson when he was skint like the rest of
> the junk.
> If I remember rightly anyway. Dave runs Demi Monde records and generally
> licenses
> all the CD stuff to Magnum.  Magnum seem to be incapable of doing good
> packaging.
> Mind you why not package crap in crap :-)
>
> Rich

This is pretty much as I understand it too.   Certainly Hawkwind get no
money from the sale of these particular releases which have now been
issued and reissued at least half a dozen times under different sounding
titles (possibly more - if you skim through the Codex you'll see the
same tracks recurring constantly).    They are sold at dead cheap prices
and the Hawkwind bins are always stacked with them, completely crowding
out the official Hawkwind releases.    As I understand it, this was
supposed to be the final issue of these tracks and after this there
would be no more - however there was something of a SNAFU and what
should have been the whole of Text of Festival 2LP didn't make it on
- only the usual tracks have been issued.    So it wouldn't surprise me
if there is yet another version - possibly with Text of Festival in its
entirity.

If you already have these tracks on other CDs don't bother with this box
set at all.    However it has to be conceded that early Hawkwind in any
form is not common and for a complete overview of Hawkwind history you
do need *one* copy and I have to admit that (even with the appalling
sound quality - which for me just adds to the atmostphere in this case)
I really enjoy the Text of Festival album with its wonderful endless
Hawkwind spaced-out jamming sessions.    When someone finally gets the
entire 2LP onto a CD - this I will definitely buy.

jill

obsmug> selling my Glastonbury ticket to a friend 8-)
obworried> meeting my friend again once they get back......
obregret> not being there to see Tony Bennet live - what an amazing
performer he is!    Age 70 and whatelse?   I wanna be like that!

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk