off: Glastonbury 98

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Jun 30 08:32:31 EDT 1998

> >> So anybody else here at glastonbury this year ?
> >
> >I'll be there dude. My tent will be pretty much where it was last time.
> >Up in the field to the right of the Sacred Field and towards the top
> >fence at the peak of the hill. It'll have a wee Jolly Roger pennant
> >attached to a silver dome tent if I can find the penant later.
> >
> >Come up for a beer...

Mike, forgive me for not finding you. I was too busy drowning ;-)

> Festival Eye broadcast Nik and Trevor live via the internet to 1 million
> people. This was the first time this has ever been done at Glastonbury.

Where & when did they play ???

Overall, I thought G98 was the Apocalypse. After last year, I didn't think it
could get any worse, but, by a mile, this was achieved. Luckily my tent wasn't
submerged, but by saturday morning, my pitch was on the shoreline of a lake.
I thought the organisation basically sucked too, especially the stage crews &
sound, who didn't really take any account of anything as far as I could tell.
Loads of bands (mostly those I went for) cancelled or were hugely late.

On the plus side, I thought a few bands played well. James were great, and
Primal Scream really went down well. Foolishly, I left their set early to see
Portishead - a mistake, since they were an hour late, it pissed with rain and
Beth's vocals were so low in the mix it hardly registered. The Ozrics started
well (and late), but I was too tired/wet/cold to stay for the whole set.
Spiritualized pulled one out of the bag sunday night - glorious weather to
boot,
joined by the London Community Gospel Choir and horn section. Fantastic. Even
Bob Dylan played well!

ObHealthHorror: The silage tractor brought down to the Dance Tent to pump out
the excess water. Human error (!) caused the pump to spew not suck :-P
Result - human shit fresh from the lavs all over the floor.

I think I'll watch it on Channel 4 next year,

Tim