OFF: R&RHoF voting

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Mar 2 13:03:27 EST 1998

Carl sayz...

>> every time I see the name Gene Vincent, I think of Kiss (but of course,
that's
>> wrong isn't it?).
>
>     Yup.  Gene Vincent kicked arse :)

Andy sayz...

>Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps!  "Be-Bop-A-Lula", for goodness' sake!  If
>there's any justice, Gene Vincent should be a founder member!

This isn't helping, sorry.  I don't know who this is, or what that song is.
Sounds like "Little" Richard Penniman to me.  (I know him from Taco Bell
commercials.)  :)  To me, music has an AD/BC demarcation at 1967, such that
we are now in the year 31 AD.  Anything before that is virtually
non-existent in my world...that pretty much goes for anything
actually....music, literature, movies, you name it.  (I guess I'm shallow,
now that I think about it.)  Nostalgia works very rarely for me, and only
(at all) during the time I've been alive...I was born in 3 B.C. :)

>> But still,
>> people think the Monkees should be inducted??  For what?  Lame slapstick
>> comedy?  Or cheesy renditions of other people's songs?  Take your pick.
>
>     Oooo!  Them's fightin' words, mistah!
>     The television show, at least, is classic--and for its time, it was
extremely >progressive.  The music, of course, is secondary, though Mike
Nesmith is a god (and >Deke Leonard would agree! :)

Hey, I watched that show quite a bit when it wasn't that old. Haven't seen
it in some time though.  But yeah, I think some bits were sort of clever,
like Bullwinkle kind of, but of course, did Mike Nesmith write that stuff??
Actually, he was responsible for a movie I quite like, 'Repo Man', so I
don't dismiss the guy entirely.  Just he's no R&RHoF'er in any stretch of
the imagination.  But perhaps Mickey Dolenz is.  :)

Oh, and BTW, there's some talk of Man in another article in this
issue...about re-releases I believe.

>     And where are Fairport Convention in the list!? :)  Or Blue Cheer :)

Entirely absent, like BOC.

Keith H. (FAA)