OFF: More Queensryche

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Mar 2 14:09:51 EST 1998

> Second point relates to Q'ryche.  They may not be everbody's cup of tea
> yet I am hard pressed to name a more misunderstood group. HITNF is not
> "a bit dodgy" (IMHO of course) its just different from its previous
> recordings.  Does Promise Land sound anything like Empire (One More Time
Around notwithstanding)?  Does Empire sound much like Mindcrime?  Nope.
 why do people think a band has to stick with a basic formula forever?

Theo>Always liked them, believe it or not, though I never did get the
last
one.  Thought Rage for Order was fantastic, as was Mindcrime. after
that, they seemed to lose their edge a bit.  I thought the long
interval bet. Mindcrime and Empire hurt the band, IMHO...

Yes they lost some momentum; but I recall a lot of fans were
dissapointed by Empire anyway.  I like it very much myself, more
commercial flavor to it but a fine effort nonetheless.  It took a while
to sink my teeth into Promise Land.  I admit I was preplexed by it upon
first listen.  After I figured it out somewhat, hey, its cool.  Now
granted Hear is far different from anything they have done to date and
again folks are complaining.  Hear is stripped down music but its still
Queensryche.  Got some commercial feel like (Some People Fly) Empire and
some fairly good rockers (Saved, Hit the Black).  Some of it is just so
in-betwen bizzare; I can't help but love it (sPOOL).

> Want to hear a really far out rumor?  OK.  Bud of mine on the west coast
> tells me the buzz is that the replacement for DiGarmo is none other than
> BUCK!  I almost fell out of my chair.  This bud is young and in to
> modern players.  Asked me "Isn't that guitarist for that geezer band you
> like ... Blue Fish something named Buck?  I hear Tate wants him to play
> with them.  Sucks man why do they need an old fart like that." {Forgive
> my young friend, like a some, certainly not all, 20 somethings he has no
> respect for the metal movement of the 70's}  I don't really buy this but
> I could see Mr. Dharma fit snuggly into this group.  Hell if I were Buck
> and they offered the money I'd do it.

Theo>This can't possibly be serious, but I actually thing BD would work
with the band.  But really, seeing as how BOC has finally put out a
new record, this wouldn't be the time for BD to bail.

If HF has any commercial sucess I would think Buck should examine his
options carefully, most notably the Buck Dharma Band.  I want this album
to be a sucess for them yet if it goes gold or platinum then the real
pressure is on BOC to do another one.  They won't get ten years to
produce it this time.  As for Queensryche sure thats someones idea of a
joke but hey if it happened Flaming Telepaths to the starter of this
rumor; the jokes on you.

Theo> Regarding younger fans, there are a lot of young folks on this
list, and they are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about BOC and
other
dino-bands.  In fact, most of the members of the various geezer band
lists I'm on are kids.  Looks good for the younger generation!

Agreed and hopefully I did not piss off some of the younger fans here;
thought I worded it carefully enough so it wouldn't be considered gospel
from me.  No this guy I'm referring to has great taste in music he's
just "too consistent" in his dislike for 70's bands.  I dunno, his
formative stages occured in the 80's so he tends to think arena rock was
the beginning.  Hey, this kid for all his great taste loves Anthrax, go
figure.

L8er
Ghost In The Ruins

"Oooo surprise hug from Mr. Freaky Big."  - The Tick

OBCD - Dead Winter Dead - Savatage