OFF: ok, now it's Armored Saint

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Mar 3 21:58:59 EST 1998

>This was quite sad as he was a really talented guitar player and a really
>nice guy. I got to know these guys a little bit as I interviewed then back
>in 1985 when they opened for mEtallica in a small club in El Paso. I also
>did an interivew with Lars Ulrich in a pancake house at 1am after the show!
>I met up with them again on the Delerious tour in Albuquerque and then in
>87' I went out to LA got to see them rehearse and hung out at Joey Vera's
>place. Nice guys. I saw them two other times while living in the bay area.
>I think the combined blow of working so hard and not really making (thus
>John Bush left for Anthrax) and the death of Dave, killed the band. One of
>the best US metal bands ever in my opinion!

this sounds pretty interesting! do you have any good stories to tell about
these encounters?  they were definitely one of the few 80's metal bands to
come out of California to really make a lasting impression....and even after
Dave's death, they put out a pretty good album (Symbol of Salvation) with
original guitarist Phil Sandoval and another guitar player....also, did
you know that Joey is also playing on Kevin Moore's (ex Dream Theater)
project?  it's called ChromaKey if I recall correctly

>Maybe Fates Warning would be worth giving a listen to again if Joey is in
>the band. Glad to hear that Saint might still exist!

I would definitely give "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" a listen...it's
phenomenal......I wrote FW off as a poor imitation of Queensryche in the
80's and had to go back and listen to the last couple of albums and
revise my opinion after this one!

Ted

ObCD - Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet