Rock&Roll Hall of Fame

Peter Sondergeld p.sondergeld at QUT.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 4 17:59:15 EST 1998

While following this thread I was reminded for some reason of a quote I
heard (and have discussed at length over a few ales) that said something
like "the impact on the music world of the song *Louie Louie* was far
greater than the band _Journey_'s entire  musical output." I suspect the
meaning is less a dump on Journey than a point on justice, though plenty of
people do dump on Journey. I happen to like Journey a lot and listen to
them regularly, and *LL* is a fun song in its own way, but I think the sad
truth is that reward and recognition are not distributed fairly by the
industry or the public.

Pete.
ObLyric: "There's injustice in this world? Hey, how 'bout that!" - Lou Reed
ObCD: 7 Park Avenue - Pete Ham

At 12:12 PM 4/03/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I haven't been to Cleveland, and to be honest I've no particular plans to
>do so, but I have been to the R&RHoF web site :)
>
>Point one about the HoF, surely, is it's basically a marketing exercise;
>we've got something in London called "Rock Circus", which is basically a
>tourist thing, and the only reason you'd go if you actually live here is to
>try and pick up Belgian teenagers (a valid enough reason, I suppose).
> Anyway!  It's got dummies outside made up look like such disparate figures
>as Tina Turner, Sid Vicious etc - Hey, kids!  It's all rock and roll!  It's
>all part of that marvellous tapestry of popular music!  I like it like it
>yes I do!
>
>Anyway back to the HoF - my main observation about the "inductees" is
>they're extremely conservative.  Which I suppose is fair enough if you want
>to build up credibility, but results in being very dull.  And they take a
>very wide definition of "rock and roll", which includes all the Tamla
>Motown stable.  I think this may be fair enough, not just an exercise in
>PC, because it's be impossible to draw a line anyway.
>
>"Our kind of music" is represented by Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the
>Velvet Underground.  Which out of a hundred or so inductees is fair enough
>I thought.  Even though personally I was never really into Floyd or Zep.
>
>But it's all so BORING!
>
>-Andy
>
>--
>mailto:Andy.Gilham at btinternet.com; http://www.btinternet.com/~andy.gilham

Peter Sondergeld
p.sondergeld at qut.edu.au

"I'm no stranger to hard work - more of a nodding acquaintance." - D.G. Harris