OFF: ok, now it's Joe Satriani

Ted Alger talger at PIPELINE.COM
Thu Mar 5 19:53:33 EST 1998

>Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist both have some good stuff, but
>Suring with the Alien, maybe because it was the first I hear of him,
>just kicks.  The title track, Ice 9, and Satch Boogie just smoke.  Yeah,
>some of the other stuff may be somewhat forgetable, but these 3 tracks,
>along with Summer Song (from The Extremist) and Big Bad Moon (from Flying...)
>are my favorite Joe S. tunes.
>
>John

well, while I agree about those songs (and I love Circles and Echo too), part
of it has to do with the drumming and bass....while I love Joe's guitar
playing, I think he's better when he has a bass player and a good drummer...
Stu Hamm is on Crystal Planet, and it rocks!  (you should be able to
relate to that ;-) )

having said, that, I don't think the experiment on his last album really
worked....I don't know why, but I really didn't get much out of "JS" with
Nathan East and Andy Fairweather-Low playing on it.....it just didn't
seem to click with me, other than, say, "Luminous Flesh Giants" and
maybe "Cool #9"..... CP is already getting more time in my player than
"JS" did in the past 2 years!

ok, I'll shut up now....gonna go listen to "American Thighs," "Blow it
Out Your Ass...," and "Eight Arms to Hold You" and mourn Veruca Salt

:-(

Ted

ObPromoThingy - Jerry Cantrell - Cut You In