OFF: Tangerine Dream

John McIntyre MCINTYRE at PA.MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 6 09:15:40 EST 1998

>From: John Majka <flossbac at WCIC.ORG>

>I bought all the Tangerine Dream CDs when they first came out, and I've
>noticed that SOME have been reissued in the past few years with
>super-bit-mapped mastering.  Does anyone have these and can you tell me, do
>they in fact sound noticeably better?

Alas, and I say that from a financial point of view (-8, the SBM remasters
that I've purchased *do* sound better than the original CD releases.  Plus
they did some obvious nice moves like removing the album side break in
_Logos_.

> The only ones I've seen are basically
>the 80's Virgin albums.  What about all the 70's Virgin stuff--are there
>remasters available or what?  I know these albums would sound great if
>remastered correctly (as evidenced by some of the remastered stuff in the
>Tangents box set), but I don't know if they have been or not.

I haven't seen too many of the seventies stuff get the SBM treatment.
(I think I saw _Encore_ in SBM but I foolishly passed it up.  I still
contend the Detroit show was better than what ended up on the album. (-8)
Don't forget that _Tangents_ isn't the best guide as to how remasters
would sound as a lot of _Tangents_ is rerecorded as opposed to simple
remastering.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University