HW: Simon King

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Tue Mar 10 10:55:24 EST 1998

Christian and Max write:

>>Max Wilcox writes:
>>---------
>>Well, one of these people, who's name, by the
>> way, is Simon, she has spent quite a bit of time chatting to. Just
>>recently
>> she was discussing his past, and lo and behold, he said he is an
>>ex-drummer
>> from HW.
>>             Lucky bloody person...
>

>Ya, he never spontaeneously exploded onstage during any drumsolos! (cause
>he was on a VERY VERYVERY strict diet during the entire 70s)
>
>Seriously that is a cool story. Is your friend into Hawkwind? King's long
>stint with Hawkwind was a short period of his life so one can wonder if he
>has any idea what Hawkwind & co are up to now or how he looks back on it or
>if he cares!
>
>AFAIK his leaving Hawkwind was also leaving the music biz for good.
>
>Nik Turner could probably use 3 (exploding) drummers onstage,  taking in
>all those stray/sacked HW'ers hanging around in bars!
>
>"The Year is 1999.... you are welcome, you are welcome...." ;)
>

>Christian

I just thought that I would flesh-out something of what Simon King is doing
these days!

A few months back, I was privaledged to be invited to a party, held by someone
connected to the HW camp. I don't wan't to brag about being invited etc, but as
there is some interest from BOC-L about Simon, here goes:

A very nice civilised evening it was too, and NO huge amounts of drugs and wild
antics, as the rumours used to be spread about HW clan-gatherings!

None of the current line-up were at the party, but Simon was, and I had the
privaledge of talking with him and his partner for a good couple of hours.

Simon hasn't done any serious drumming since leaving Hawkwind, and when I asked
him if he missed it, - absolutely not at all! At the time, there was a rumour
that Danny Thomas wanted to re-join the ranks, on the grounds that the best
ever HW output was when they had two drummers (probably true)! I mentioned this
to Simon, enquiring that if he was ever to be asked, would he do guest slots
etc, but he said that he would be too un-prepared to perform a gig - something
about being "stage-fit", besides, he had no desire to be back on stage at all.

So, what's he up to these days?

A few years back, he was dealing in antiques in and around west London, and
currently he is trading virtually anything!

He's doing a lot of cycling these days too. He was telling me a story how last
year, he went along to some big charity cycle ride, starting on the Green in
Richmond, London, and somehow got caught-up with the top competitive guys, and
managed to hang on to them for a couple of miles! If you frequent the tow-path
along the Thames in that part of London, the chances are, that one day you'd
meet up with him and his familly on bikes.

I never met him when he was drumming, but he has filled-out a lot, looking a
lot healthier now! (He was rather skinny during the HW years!) Anyhow, he was a
really nice bloke, and I feel very privaleged to have been able to talk with
him then!

Guy.