HW: Simon King and BBC

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Tue Mar 10 12:10:40 EST 1998

MWood wrote:

>LN1GJT wrote:
>> Danny Thomas wanted to re-join the ranks>
>
>Danny Thomas?  I think that the gobs of time he spends raising money
>for the St. Jude's Children's Hospital would prevent him from touring.
>(Well, that and the fact that he's dead.)  :)
>
>Seriously, though - thanks for the King update!
>
>MWood

Sorry 'bout that!  I guess that I was getting confused again - just like the
cover notes to the BBC live at Reading '86 CD, which had amongst the line-up as
follows:

Drums:  Danny Thomas jnr!

(Remember that total sleeve cock-up?) (Also does anyone else reckon that the
geezer on the cover with the mobile keyboard looks a tad like Danny?)

Also on that CD, if you look at the track listing,  there is no mention of
Brainstorm anywhere, and I suspect that Nik got no royalties (as he wrote the
song) from the CD at all.  Now this I know was NOT a deliberate attempt by the
band to rip-off Nik.  I've actually seen the BBC master tapes (I know someone
there), and they've got the track listing all wrong!

Incidentally, it's worth noting here, that of all the BBC recordings listed in
John Peel's book, the only ones remaining are:

1972 Paris Theatre (now on CD)
1985 Tommy Vance session, three tracks:
        Got Your Number
        Assault of the Hawk
        Magnu - Dream Worker of Time
1986 Reading Festival
1988 Hammersmith Odeon (Brainstorm on the archived version is complete)
1995 In session (since the book was published)

The bits missing from the '86 and '88 gigs aren't held by the BBC. There was an
extra 40mins from Hammersmith, and another 25mins or so from Reading. The
chances are that the final mixed down tapes would have been handed over by the
producer (I think it was Geoff Griffin?) and the rest would have been binned.
(Unless the producer kept copies of the whole gig.)

I know that Doug Smith has got/or is going to get DATs of all the BBC archive,
with a view to licensing the material, especially the '85 and '88 for release
on EBS.

Let us pray!