OFF: Amon Duul II

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 11 10:31:40 EST 1998

Christian said...
>> ... it's all so expensive here, so I'm in need of recommendation for
>> some of the first "MUST BE" purchases of this band(s). I#ve got the 69 -
>> 74 compilation, and like it ... so, if somebody's able to help me out ?
>>
>> Reiner
>
>Oooh... they are all good! My personal fave remains Carnival In Babylon
>though I suspect many will disagree. That album invokes some
>sort of shimmering something or other around and inside me. I would stay
>clear of Dance Of The Lemmings till last, as it is an extremely tedious and
>untogether album IMO. I would say, my fave ADII's in this order:
>
>Carnival In Babylon
>Yeti
>Phallus Dei
>Wolf City
>Live In Concert (BBC) /some really excellent heavy versions here btw.
>Vive La Trance
>Dance Of The Lemmings

My list would be...

Wolf City!!
Made in Germany (Repertoire double-length version)
Vive la Trance
Dance of the Lemmings (only the last half is tedious) :)
Utopia
Carnival in Babylon
Yeti
Phallus Dei
Hijack

These are all 'classic' 70's albums.  The mini-reunion that produced
'Vortex' in 1981 and the current (1995) one 'Nada Moonshine #', are both
worthwhile, but are really hit-and-miss.  Composition style is similar, but
'sound' is much more modern, particularly in the latter case.

>I have yet to get Live In London and the Lemmingmania comp with the singles
>but I suspect they are pretty good! ;)

The 4 Lemmingmania tracks *are* quite good, and are worth the money IMHO.
'Rattlesnake Plumcake' is awesome for the title alone.  :)

>Anyone here heard the "new" Flawlwess or the Chris Karrer album?

Like you indicate, 'Flawless' isn't really new.  Karrer's album,
Sufisticated is tops on my list of things to get.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I saw on the isi 'krautrock' list, that they may have called it quits
yet again.  Is this true, Andy?  If so,  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!