OFF: Amon Düül (II)

Wed Mar 11 10:49:58 EST 1998

> Anyone here heard the "new" Flawlwess or the Chris Karrer album?
> (Duulmeister Gilham??)
>
> Christian

Obviously! :)  _Flawless_ is a funny album - I think it's whatever Gerhard
(ex-manager) had the rights to.  The feedback I've had from Duul
aficionados varies from "should be called Pointless" all the way to "not as
bad as all that".

Chris' latest solo, _Sufisticated_, I like a lot, but it's not a Duul album
by any means - it's a melange of Mediterranean and Arabesque sounds.  Very
good playing and production.

Then there's the "krautrock supergroup", Space Explosion, (Chris + guys
from Cluster, Guru Guru, Faust, die Krupps) whose eponymous album is pretty
tasty too.  Much more of an updated krautrock cosmic mind journey etc etc.
 Japanese version has an extra track.

Reiner - my all-time favourite Duul album is _Yeti_; but any of the albums
featured on that compilation you've got is good all the way through.  Of
the later albums, _Made in Germany_ is a good one, if you can find the full
version on Repertoire (picture of the group in fancy dress on the front,
e.g. Renate as Brunnhilde), though a bit more of a straight "prog" album
than the earlier ones.

The best Amon Duul (I) album is _Paradieswarts Duul_, which I think you can
still find on that French label, Spalax.  Starts with a 17 minute freakout
called "Love is Peace", and the lyric "once I had a hangup on the time
machine".  (BTW, a "spalax" is a small burrowing mammal.)

-Andy