BOC: Heaven Forbid review

Brizo777 Brizo777 at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 11 14:30:37 EST 1998

Eddie spewedes>>>

you've got to be kidding!  do you know any 15 year olds?  they're into their
own thing, and trust me, it ain't hard rock.  take a look at the billboard
charts (marilyn manson notwithstanding).<<<<

Oh like the billbboard charts are the only measure? I totally disagree with
this generalization, by the time many kids are 15 they have outgrown this crap
and worked through many issues of their idenity and need to be over the edge.
Oh ya there are always a few who take it on to their adult life, makes the
world an interesting place. I cant address MM 's music and I am glad , but I
know many high schoolers who like old classic rock, I in fact think they are
kind of lame-o for diggin Steve Miller etc.....I can't help but recalling that
I rejected the top 40 crap when I was about 13 and began deciding what I
liked, I think you discredit the intelligence of many of todays kids.....you
sound like an old fart to me.....<G>

I can't argue much with your song reviews, only because I have not heard the
whole album. I do disagree with you about the  cover art or SYIB......are you
serious????

Briz

with regards to "see you in black", it lacks any of the "enchanting mystery"
(for lack of a better term) and loopy lyrics that built the b.o.c. legacy, and
it is redundant and derivative to boot!  of all the songs on the new record
only "harvest moon" and "x-ray eyes" prove durable after repeated listenings.
a few others manage to sustain vague interest but songs like "hammer down" and
"still burnin'" fall flat their first spin around.  the acoustic cover of "in
thee" (the original is a fave of mine) is unremarkable and, frankly,
pointless.  the cover art is abomidable, atrocious, asinine.  oh, and very
cheesy.  no excuses!  no "humble opinions"--it "flat out" sucks.  overall, on
a ten scale, heaven forbid rates a 4 due to the two aforementioned standout
tracks and buck dharma's tasty & flavorful noodlings.  the guy still produces!
(even if he desperately needs to hire some song doctors.)
eddie
los angeles, calif.