BOC: SYIB and CMC

Wed Mar 11 15:45:12 EST 1998

>Hmmm... well, I dunno. Honestly, if it weren't BOC, I probably wouldn't buy
an album with a cover like that. I mean, I find it more repulsive then
anything else... :-(

Well, YOU wouldn't buy it.  And, if not a BOC fan, *I* wouldn't either.
Then again, I don't buy (or not - Metallica's *LOAD* being the notable
exception) albums based on cover.  But, if the attitude of BOC/CMC is that
they might reach a few non-BOC folks because of the cover, then I say
this is a good thing.  How many BOC fans will NOT buy this CD based on
it's cover?  I'll bet that number is a lot less than those non-BOC fans
who might buy it because of its cover.

I think we tend to judge BOC based on our own fan-based standards, and
sometimes perhaps are lost on the bigger picture.

For what it's worth, Bolle ain't too excited by the cover or the album
title..

John

PS:  All this talk about album covers, reminds me of *This is Spinal Tap*.
Like their album *Smell the Glove*, BOC fans claim that "every song on it
is a hit" when referring to *Heaven Forbid*.  Here's a little dialog from
the movie regarding discussions of the cover...

Promoter:  I heard you boys got an album coming out.
David:     Yeah, it's called Smell the Glove... it should be out now,
           yeah...yeah, yeah....
Promoter:  Smell the Glove?
Extra:     It's a provocative title.
David:     Wait till you see the cover, wait till you see the cover,
           very provcative indeed.

Ian:       Bobbi, Bobbi, can I tear you away from all of this?
Bobbi:     Do you have a drink? Everything ok?
Ian:       No, I don't, I don't really need one.  But, listen, um...
           I really, I really do have to talk to you a bit about this,
           uh....
Bobbi:     Ian, come on, tell me whatever is on your mind....
Ian:       ...this whole issue of the, uh...the issue of the cover.
Bobbi:     Yeah.
Ian:       ...uh, we feel, I mean, we feel and it seems to be facts
           that, uh...the company is rather down on the cover.
           Is that the case?
Bobbi:     Yes.
Ian:       You can give it to me straight, you know.
Bobbi:     Listen umm... they don't like the cover, they don't like
           the cover.
Ian:       Uh huh, well that is certainly straight.
Bobbi:     They find it very offensive and very sexist.
Ian:       Well what exactly...do you find offensive, I mean, what's
           offensive?
Bobbi:     Ian, you put a greased naked woman...
Ian:       Yes...
Bobbi:     ..on all fours...
Ian:       Yes.
Bobbi:     ...with a dog collar around her neck...
Ian:       ...with a dog collar...
Bobbi:     ...and a leash...
Ian:       ...and a leash...
Bobbi:     ...and a man's arm extended out up to here holding on to
           the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff
           it. You don't find that offensive, you don't find that
           sexist?
Ian:       No I don't, this is 1982, Bobbi, come on.
Bobbi:     That's right it's 1982 get out of the 60's we don't have
           this mentality any more.
Ian:       Well you should have seen the cover they wanted to do.
           It wasn't a glove believe me.