BOC: Heaven Forbid review

Wed Mar 11 15:54:52 EST 1998

>you've got to be kidding!  do you know any 15 year olds?

Several.  And, I'm also aware to some degree of what many of them are
listening to, based on record store sales and radio station playlists.

>they're into their
own thing, and trust me, it ain't hard rock.  take a look at the billboard
charts (marilyn manson notwithstanding).

Metallica notwithstanding either - and SYIB is very much in a similar vein.

Kids these days aren't into "hard rock" as was defined in the 70s and
80s, but what they call "hard rock" in the 90s (or pick whatever other
term you want - metal, alternative, etc.) they most certainly are into.

>with regards to "see you in black", it lacks any of the "enchanting mystery"
(for lack of a better term) and loopy lyrics that built the b.o.c. legacy

Yeah, and kids these days don't really seem to be into the "BOC legacy"
do they?

>it is redundant and derivative to boot!

Gee, can't say THAT about any of today's music!  ;-)

>of all the songs on the new record
only "harvest moon" and "x-ray eyes" prove durable after repeated listenings

I like these songs, but after listening to some of the others (in particular
as of late, SYIB) dozens of times, I think many of the other tracks are
"durable"

>a few others manage to sustain vague interest but songs like "hammer down" and
"still burnin'" fall flat their first spin around

Haven't heard "Hammer Back" - but I just LOVE "Still Burnin'" Simple?
Perhaps.  Catchy?  You bet!

>the acoustic cover of "in
thee" (the original is a fave of mine) is unremarkable and, frankly,
pointless

Perhaps - haven't heard it.  Then again, I would venture to assume it was
thrown in more for fans than anything else.

>the cover art is abomidable, atrocious, asinine

Your opinion.  Others may agree with you, and others will disagree.  Maybe
someday you will design a cover for them?

>no excuses!  no "humble opinions"--it "flat out" sucks.

Based on what *I* know of the album, which appears to be a bit less
than you, I would vehemently disagree.  Thanks for sharing!

John