BOC: Heaven Forbid review

reset mumford at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 11 21:38:28 EST 1998

OE3 <OE3 at AOL.COM> writes:

> you've got to be kidding!  do you know any 15 year olds?

Well, I was 15 ten years ago. I have a brother who is 17 and a sister
who is 15.

they're into their
> own thing, and trust me, it ain't hard rock.  take a look at the
billboard
> charts (marilyn manson notwithstanding).

When I was 15, as it remains, Billboard was something older people read to
keep
up with the 30 year olds trying to look 15.

I don't think Hawkwind's Xenon Codex was in the Billboard charts in 1988.
But how the hell was I supposed to know, I was only 15 at the time.

I didn't buy any music papers until I was 18-19 and by that time I knew
which papers NOT to waste my money on, though in retrospect I probably did
;)

> with regards to "see you in black", it lacks any of the "enchanting
mystery"
> (for lack of a better term) and loopy lyrics that built the b.o.c.
legacy,

I too got my coalidge degree cheap... Oh yes, 'em crazy, loopy BOC lyrics!
Not to mention dat loopy BOC legacy! Sho'iz crazy dem bighaired leather
rock'n'rollers!

We may delve deeper into the "enchanting mystery" whenever we run out of
better terms than "loopy".

>and
> it is redundant and derivative to boot!

Yeah, all true rock'n'roll is based on 100% originality and up-to-date
with-it-etc. correct non-correct-nihilist-rock-n-roll-isms of the day.

But you know all this through Billboard.

The City Of Angels, where even bands like Guns'n'Roses
can be original and good.

>of all the songs on the new record
> only "harvest moon" and "x-ray eyes" prove durable after repeated
listenings.
> a few others manage to sustain vague interest but songs like "hammer
down" and
> "still burnin'" fall flat their first spin around.  the acoustic cover of
"in
> thee" (the original is a fave of mine) is unremarkable and, frankly,
> pointless.

"In Thee" *nearly* soils my diapers. Remarkably! But so what.

> the cover art is abomidable, atrocious, asinine.  oh, and very
> cheesy.

Whomever paired "cheesy" with "rock'n'roll" must have been out of their
mind!
jeez... like oil and water buddy... different worlds... apples and oranges
etc. etc.

>no excuses!  no "humble opinions"--it "flat out" sucks.

Thanks for "warning" us... "dickhead" !

>  overall, on
> a ten scale, heaven forbid rates a 4 due to the two aforementioned
standout
> tracks and buck dharma's tasty & flavorful noodlings.  the guy still
produces!
> (even if he desperately needs to hire some song doctors.)
> eddie
> los angeles, calif.

Eddie, baby: have you checked the state of your perm?

Christian (north of the border)