OFF: Bevis Frond review

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Thu Mar 12 09:52:53 EST 1998

345. The BEVIS FROND- Rust, København 3/10/98

        Well, I showed up at the club at 4:45 to meet the band and they
were not there yet (one hour late according to the club).  I had arranged
with Ade Shaw via the email to get together with the band here. They showed
up a little after five and I helped them unload the van (they have two
roadies, Ronnie and Matt, on the tour. Matt plays in the UK band the
Alchemists.  We sat around and they drank beers and then the club provided
them with all the beer they wanted and some nice food.  I went off to get
some food and came back.  After the soundcheck, which was extremely funny
as nick was joking around a lot and sang a little song to Andy. They did
Hole Song No. 2 as the soundcheck song. Sound was excellent.  Andy Ward
(the drummer) has a bit of a cold so he was pretty miserable and actually
passed out for a bit after the soundcheck, while Nick, Ade, Matt and I
headed to the dressing room for a chat until the band went on at 10.  They
had a story about how they almost did not get off the ferry from Germany to
denmark and would have been off to sweden which would have really fucked
them up for this show, but they did make it off the ferry at the last
minute!
I went out at 9 to see if Kim, Michael and Stig had arrived to let them
know that taping and video was fine with the band.  These are some of the
nicest guys you could ever meet and boy do they joke around like mad.  If
they ever get tired of doing a full set of music they could easily do stand
up comedy as well!  Great blokes!

        Now to the show... RUST is a great club. Good sound on stage for
the band and out front it is not too loud but loud enough and a very even
mix. The club holds only about 150 or so and there were about 60 or so
people there, enough of a crowd to fill the front part by the stage and
make the band feel like there was a crowd there.  They opened with a slow
jam song that was pretty cool and then went into Hole Song No.2 and Nick
let off his first ripping leads to excite the crowd.  This is a great new
song off North Circular. Hole Song No.1 is off London Stone. Don't know if
they ever played that one live though! Wild Jack Hammer followed which is a
great song.  I love the lead guitar in this one. It was always a great jam
when Bari Watts was in the band. (We talked a lot about Bari in the
dressing room, a great guitar player and friend of Nick's!).  Stars burn
out is another song from North Circular and one that features acoustic
guitar on the lp, so I was suprised to hear this one. I had tried to figure
out which songs they would be doing from the new lp live and I was only
correct  1 out of 5!  Stone Train Driver is a classic Bevis song with witty
lyrics and a good riff. The bass lines that Ade plays are great!  He was
great all night!  Always a great one live.  Maybe really gets the crowd up
and going as it is fast and loud! Love is another from the new lp, is a
great song as well.  I am getting a little tired of hearing Lights are
changing, He'd be a Diamond and new River Head but I can't deny they are
good songs.  Red Hair is the only song they played off the last Bevis lp,
Son of Walter. Same as last year at Terrastock. I had hoped to hear Barking
Point blues!  The Wind blew all around me and He Had you are both from
North Circular. He had You Mary Lou Lord played last year at the Terrastock
in Providence but Nick's version is better I think!  Stain on the Sun is
one of my all time favourite BF songs. Nick started the beginning a little
differently this time and slowly lead into the main portion of the song.
Now he switched over to the electric dulcimer for the Arthur Lee song
Signed DC (pretty depressing lyrics). This song is just a heavy jammer that
just builds into a raging psychedelic guitar (dulcimer) jam!  Nick sits in
a chair for most of this song but when Matt the roadie removed the chair
when Nick wanted to stand up, the cord was wrapped around the leg of the
chair was pulled out, so we briefly got to hear Ade solo....  Great
version.  They encored with a killer instrumental in which Nick played a
sitar guitar. This is a new jam song that really builds and last for nearly
10 minutes!  Then I was very suprised and honoured but Nick said they had a
suprise for Scott Heller and they played Undertaker, which is a song from
the old days that  I love. This is not listed on the normal set list they
are playing on this tour, so that was pretty special.  I was very honoured.
It was a great show. I had a few words with them afterwards and headed out.
They were really tired and needed to catch up on sleep.

Here is the set list:

Jam
Hole Song No.2
Wild Jack Hammer
Stars Burn Out
Stoned Train Driver
Lights are Changing
Maybe
Love is
He'd be a Diamond
New River Head
Red Hair
The Wind blew all around me
Well out of it
He had You
Stain on the Sun
Signed DC

Encores:
Eastern Jam
Undertaker (dedicated to me, nice guys.....)

105 minutes

Scott

ObCs- Free- Ft. Worth, Texas 1973

R. Scott Heller PhD