BOC: HB, SYIB, getting heated

Alex S. Garcia asg at LAGUNA.COM.MX
Thu Mar 12 07:52:39 EST 1998

>>John you actually asked this question? I can't see anyone who knows this
>band not buying the first new music in ten years becuase of a cheesy
>cover. I can always turn it inside out if I don't want to see it.
>
>EXACTLY my point!  No (or extremely few) BOC fan who has waited for
>the new album is going to NOT buy it.  So, that's why I think maybe
>BOC/CMC are right in targeting a different segment of the population
>with the cover.  We fans are already "in the bag" so to speak.

OTOH... I can't help but think back to when I first discovered BOC and when
I bought "Imaginos". I didn't know anything about the band's history back
then - well, actually, I did, cause I discovered them through a radio
document... but it was very vague in my mind when I bought the album and,
for one thing, I certainly wasn't aware of all this BOC / not-BOC talk about
"Imaginos". I just bought the damn thing and was oh-so-happy I did. And
still am.
        So what is my point ? Well, some BOC fans may not know the band well
enough to buy the album eyes closed. OK, granted, there probably aren't that
many of these kind of fans, but still...
        Besides, I think there a better-looking, better thought out cover
could have been a better seller than this cover and touch a much bigger
public. Just my thoughts, of course, but well...
        I don't buy albums on covers either, but it can happen that I refuse
to buy one because of a cover... But yeah, that never happens when it's a
band I know really well. But y'know, I'm the kinda guy who likes to buy
things without knowing much of a band - I like to discover new things - and
an attractive cover with a cool band name and a nice album title can
certainly do it for me (it happened with a Klaatu compilation album I bought
a few years back - I'd never heard of the band, but I couldn't go wrong with
a name like that, or with the SF inspired song titles included, or that
cover which I found great, etc, etc).
        I tend to like covers like the ones Yes & Asia use more than your
usual heavy-metal symbolism, or whatever... Sure, it's only this guy's
position, but I tend to believe (and maybe I'm wrong) that *most* people
like artistic covers rather than ones that make you wanna throw up *shrug*

>I'd almost want to treat this as a totally different band, which, in
>many respects, it is.
>
>But my old rule still applies - if it makes me tap my foot, band my
>head, or shake my butt, then it's good.  :-)

Well, at least we agree on this *grin*

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/