BOC: Heaven Forbid review

Alex S. Garcia asg at LAGUNA.COM.MX
Thu Mar 12 17:20:47 EST 1998

>what's up with the barbed personal comments?  the primary purpose of my post
>was to critique the new b.o.c. album.  your rebuttal did not even remotely
>address heaven forbid.  instead, you chose to take issue with my age, the city
>of los angeles, my hairstyle, and my adjective choices.  okay, whatever.  the
>fact is i have heard the album and i do not think it is the second
>coming--it's mediocre. (after fifteen or so listens in full; plenty of time to
>digest for me)  when you get the new album you can share your thoughts, too.
>that's what this forum is designed for, not cheap personal attacks.
>now, i understand old man winter is raging in the great white north, but that
>does not excuse your bitterness toward l.a.  come on, there is no trace of the
>'80s sunset strip scene here anymore (the musicians have moved to the more
>profitable tribute band genre) and there hasn't been since i moved here a few
>years back.  by the way, i'm 25--hardly a has-been fart--and have never worn a
>perm. (nice try!)

Well, look here, I think what pissed off most people who reacted to your
review (and probably many who haven't) is that you just simply said all that
stuff with a lot of pretentiousness, as if your *opinion* was the only one
with any value, as if you were God almighty or something. The "no "humble
opinions"--it "flat out" sucks." bit was the hardest to swallow. Give
everyone credit enough to judge by themselves of the value of the new album.
If *you* don't like it, fine, that's *your opinion* but don't state it as a
universal law or whatever. You're entitled to your opinions, as everyone
else is. Give us breathing space, y'know ? And that's probably where that
"fart" remark came from... the guy who thinks he's God almighty... give us a
break, man.

>"see you in black" may have a deep groove and may be among their heaviest
>sounds in some time, but it doesn't conjure the fascination, lyrically and
>musically, that most of their great songs do.  and for me, that thought holds
>for most of the new album.

Well, there ya go... see ? it wasn't that hard, was it ? You just tossed in
that "for me" in there, and that's all you needed to do.

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/